Rice scarcity due to non-settlement of cases

Pothashang News Service: Imphal, April 20, 2018: The social welfare department has failed to procure rice from FCI for the last 6 months due to the non-settlement of cases amongst the transport contractors, said Manipur minister of consumer affairs, food and public distribution, Karam Shyam.

Shyam made this as clarification to the current scarcity of rice in the state with the low cost imported rice ‘Superfine’ price rose up to 35 per kg as against 27 in the last month.

He said the last year’s series of floods have also worsened the situation still more in an unseen form by destroying the paddy on a mass scale, he said.

We need around 59,976 metric tonnes of rice to feed the 29 lakhs population of the state, he stated. According to NFSA, the government is able to provide only 12 lakhs 400 metric tonnes of rice that amounts to around 20% of the required target while the remaining 80 % scarcity are filled by different markets and imports, the minister clarified.

Shyam was addressing the youths and volunteers of Kanglei Economic Development Organisation, KEDO (a youth organisation serving in Imphal city) as on Friday morning on the occasion of its 11th Foundation Day at Khwairamband Ima Keithel

The price of the ‘Superfine’ rice has even reached to Rs. 40 per kg in some stores in Imphal. The once abundantly available rice is not seen at the rice shops. This has affected the lives of low income group as well as those who depends their food habit on the particular rice as the local rice is starchy.

Appreciating the activities of KEDO that has served the society of the state for around 11 years, the minister said the name KEDO is quite justified with indepth meaning and signifying meaningful work.

 “We can learn to economically manage we are able to save and turn small savings into bigger amount in future”, he said.

He also promised to donate a reasonable amount for KEDO as fixed deposit in their bank account and the income earned in due course to assist their members during times of health problems.

Related News

  • Police vandalise encroached shops in Imphal city
  • Cultural cum literary meet, 2019 concludes
  • Workshop on realistic painting of tribal art concludes
  • Manipur has everything in the field of art & culture: Prahlad Singh Patel
  • Minister Biswajit launches Samarth in state
  • Vast coverage of rural poor households indicates successful implementation of MSRLM: Biswajit
  • Humanism Foundation organises awareness camp on skill development
  • Vegetable seeds distributed to farmers
  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    error: Content is protected !!