Biren stands solid against crimes in lockdown

Advertisement

Imphal: Manipur chief minister N. Biren Singh assured to punish the culprits of alleged gang-rape and murder of a minor girl in Mayang Imphal and robbery of Rs. 1.15 crore in Churachandpur killing a man at the earliest so that such incidents do not persist in future.

It is unfortunate that people have to endure anguish and pain due to these heinous crimes at a time when they are struggling to cope with the global pandemic Covid-19, Biren told reporters here on Sunday.

The chief minister urged the people to stay calm as the police have been putting in best possible efforts to crack both the cases. He said he has been monitoring the progress of investigations round the clock being the in-charge of the home department and chief minister.

Also Read:  AMSU calls for unity on Realisation Day

Regarding the Mayang Imphal incident which happened on September 2, Biren said the police had arrested six suspects so far, and dedicated efforts would be put in to file charge-sheets against them in less than two months under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012.

He said Rs. 5 lakh would be provided as ex-gratia to the victim’s family. He also expressed gratitude to the people, civil society organisations and the Joint Action Committee formed in connection with the incident for extending cooperation to the police in nabbing the suspects.

Also Read:  Electricity employees caution to cease power supply

As for the Churachandpur incident which happened on September 4, the chief minister said three suspects have been picked up for questioning so far and investigations are going on with good progress. He also said he had talked to the wife of the victim over the phone and assured justice. He said he had also instructed DGP L.M. Khaute to visit Churachandpur to supervise investigations.

He said some crucial leads had been gathered from CCTV cameras, Biren Singh said. He had also instructed the DGP to cull information from the Kuki militant groups, which are under Suspension of Operation and active in the district, as well. The chief minister also assured to provide monetary assistance to the victim’s family as per the government rules. He also sought cooperation from the public in nabbing the culprits.

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content Protected!